8 Ekim 2009 Perşembe

Put present simple or the present continuous.

 Put each verb in brackets into either the present simple or the present continuous.
Dear Aunt Jean,
I (1) ..am just writing .... (just write) to tell you how much I (2) (appreciate) the money you sent me, and to tell you how I (3) (get on) in my first term at university. Actually, I (4) (really enjoy) myself! I (5) (study) quite hard as well, but at the moment I (6) (spend) a lot of time just making friends. I
(7) (still stay) with my friend Sue, and I (8) (look for) somewhere of my own to live. Only a few of the first-year students (9) (live) in college here, and I (10) (seem) to be spending a lot of time travelling backwards and forwards. 1(11) (go) to lectures every morning, and most afternoons 1(12) (study) in the library. In fact I (13) (write) this letter instead of an essay on 'Hamlet'! I (14) (think) I'll buy some new clothes with the
money you sent. Everything (15) (cost) a lot here, and I (16) (save) to buy a winter coat. It (17) (get) really cold here in the evenings. I (18) (know) lots of other students and generally speaking we (19) (have) quite a good time socially! I (20) (also learn) to drive.
See you soon,
Katherine
Answer :
1) I am just writing
2) appreciate
3) am getting on
4) am really enjoying
5) am studying
6) am spending/spend
7) am still staying
8) am looking for
9) live
10) seem
11) go
12) study
13) am writing
14) think
15) costs
16) am saving
17) gets
18) know
19) have
20) am also learning
 Complete the second sentence so that it has a similar meaning to the first sentence, using the word given
a) There's a party at Mary's house next week.
Complete the having
second sentence Next week party at her house
so that it has a b) When you phoned me, it was my lunch time.
similar meaning I
to the first When you phoned me lunch,
sentence, using c) I started working here three years ago.
the word given. for
I've three years
d) Our meeting is tomorrow.
a
We tomorrow
e) I haven't had a Chinese meal for ages. '
since
It's a Chinese meal
f) David went home before we arrived.
had
When we home
g) The arrival time of Helen's flight is 8.00.
at
Helen's flight 8.00
h) Hurry up! We'll get to the theatre after the beginning of the play.
will
By the time we get to the theatre, the play begun
i) Oh no! My wallet is missing.
lost
Oh no! I wallet
j) I've only recently started wearing glasses.
wear
I recently.
Answer :
a) Mary is having a
b) I was having
c) been working here for
d) are having a meeting
e) ages since I had
f) arrived, David had gone
g) arrives at
h) will have
i) have lost my
j) started to wear glasses

 Put each verb in brackets into a suitable tense.
Moving house
I come from a very large family, and recently my parents (1) (decide) that they (2) (spend) lone enough living in an overcrowded house in Birmingham. We (3) (move) to the country, my tamer (4) (announce) one evening. 'I (5) (sell) this house, and we (6) (live) cm
a farm.' So last week we (7) (load) all our possessions into two hired vans and for the last few days we (8) (try) to organise ourselves in our new home. Yesterday, for example, my three brothers and I (9) (start) painting the downstairs rooms. Unfortunately while I (10) (mix) the paint, one of my sisters (11) (open) the door. Nobody (12) (tell) her that we (13) (be) in the room, you see. So instead of painting the walls, we (14) (spend) all morning cleaning the paint off the floor. But worse things (15) (happen) since then. This morning when I (16) (wake up), water (17) (drip) through the ceiling next to my bed. We (18) (spend) today so far repairing the roof. It's not all bad news, though. The school in the village nearby (19) (close down) two years ago, and my parents (20) (not find) another school for us vet.
Answer :
1 ) decided
2) had spent
3) are going to move/are moving
4) announced
5) have sold
6) are going to live
7) loaded
8) have been trying
9) started
10) was mixing
11) opened
12) had told
13) would be/were going to be/were
14) spent
15) have happened
16) woke up
17) was dripping
18) have spent
19) closed down
20) haven't found
 Complete the second sentence so that it has a similar meaning to the first sentence, using the word given. Do not change the word given. You must use between two and five words.
a) Jack left the office before I arrived there.
already
When I arrived at the office left.
b) Do you know how to drive this kind of car?
ever
Have this kind of car before?
c) This is my first visit to Scotland.
I
This is the first time Scotland.
d) During dinner, the phone rang.
I
While phone rang.
e) Do you have any plans for Saturday evening?
doing
What Saturday evening?
f) I started this job five years ago.
been
I have five years.
g) Is this car yours ?
you
Do car?
h) Look at those black clouds! There's rain on the way!
to
Look at those black clouds! It's rain.
i) Our twenty-fifth wedding anniversary is at the end of next year.
for
By the end of next year we twenty five years.
j) I haven't been to the cinema for two months.
time
The the cinema was two months
ago.
Answer : a) Jack had already
b) you ever driven
c) I have been to
d) I was having/eating dinner the
e) are you doing on
f) been doing this job for
g) you own this
h) going to
i) will have been married for
j) last time I went to
 Put each verb in brackets into a suitable tense.
At the dentist's
I was on time for my dentist's appointment, but the dentist was still busy with another patient, so I (1) (sit) in the waiting room and (2) (read) some of the old magazines lying there. While I (3) (wonder) whether to leave and come back another day, I (4) (notice) a magazine article about teeth. It (5) (begin): 'How long is it since you last (6) (go) to the dentist? (7) (you go) regularly every six months? Or (8) (you put off) your visit for the last six years?' Next to the article was a cartoon of a man in a dentist's chair. The dentist (9) (say): Tm afraid this (10) (hurt).' I (11) (suddenly realise) that my tooth (12) (stop) aching. But just as I (13) (open) the door to leave, the dentist's door (14) (open). cNext please,' he (15) (call), as the previous patient (16) (push) past me. 'Actually I'm not here to see you, I (17) (wait) for my friend,' I (18)
(shout), leaving as rapidly as I could. (19) (you ever do) this kind of thing? Surely I can't be the only person who (20) (hate) the dentist!
Answer :
1) sat
2) read
3) was wondering
4) noticed
5) began
6) went
7) Do you go
8) have you been putting off
9) was saying
10) will hurt/is going to hurt
11) suddenly realised
12) had stopped
13) was opening
14) opened
15) called
16) pushed
17) was waiting
18) shouted
19) Have you ever done
20) hates





 Look carefully at each line. Some lines are correct, but some have a word which should not be there. Tick each correct line. If a line has a word which should not be there, write the word in the space.
Meeting again
Dear Harry,
Do you remember me? ……/ ………
We have met last year when you were on holiday ..have …
in Brighton. I'm sorry I haven't been written to you 1) ………
since by then. I have been working abroad and 2)………….
I have only just come back home to England. 3)………….
Next week I am planning is to be in Bristol, and 4)……………
I was thinking about that we could meet. 5)…………….
Do you remember Shirley, the girl we have met 6)…………..
in Brighton? We are getting married next month, 7)…………..
and we are want you to come to the wedding. 8)……………
I have lost your phone number, but when 9)……….
I have get to Bristol I'll try to contact you. 10)…………
It will be great to see you again. Are you still 11)………….
studying, or I have you found a job? 12)………….
You won't recognise me when you will see me! 13)…………
I had my hair cut last week, and now I look at 14)…………
completely different. Shirley doesn't like men 15)………….
with long hair, you see!
Best wishes,
Graham Norris.Answer : . 1) been 9) /
2) by 10) have
3) / 11) /
4) is 12) I
5) about 13) will
6) have 14) at
7) / 15) /
8) are

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder