29 Ekim 2009 Perşembe

İngilizcede Used To Kullanımı

Used to
We use used + infinitive to talk about past habits and long-lasting situations which are now finished or different.
I used to smoke like a chimney. She used to live in Liverpool.
Used to ... is only past. For present habits, we use the simple present tense.
My sister smokes occasionally, (NOT My sister uses to smoke ...)
In an informal style, questions and negatives are generally made with do.
Did you use to collect stamps? I didn't use to like her.
I used not to like her. (More formal.)

1 Complete the text with words below, using used to ...

buy go have keep look after look at live play stand take

Recently we took our 15-year-old son Joe to the place in Paris where we 1 ……………………when he was a baby. We showed him the house, with the balcony where he 2 ……………………………and make speeches to imaginary crowds. Then we went inside, and believe it or not, there was Mme Duchene, who 3 ……………………….Joe when we were working. She didn't look a day older. We couldn't get into the flat, but we saw the garden where Joe 4 ………………………… Then we visited the park where we 5 …………………him for walks, the zoo where he 6 ………………………………………………..the lions and tigers, and the lake where we 7 …………………………………………boating. Not much had changed in the area: most of the shops were still there, including the wonderful old grocer's where we 8 ………………………………………delicacies like cherries in brandy. But the friendly butcher who 9 ……………………………………….the best pieces of meat for us was gone, and so was the restaurant with the bad-tempered old waitress where we 1Q ……………………………………………..Sunday lunch. I found it strange to go back: it made me feel happy and sad at the same time. But Joe was delighted with the trip.

Answer:
1 used to live
2 used to stand
3 used to look after
4 used to play
5 used to take
6 used to look at
7 used to go
8 used to buy
9 used to keep
10 used to have

2 Make sentences with used to and didn't use to about how people lived hundreds of years ago.
1 travel / horse
2 cook / wood fires
3 live so long
4 fight / spears
5 hunt / bows and arrows
6 believe / ghosts and devils
7 be able / vote
8 think / earth was flat
9 bigger families
10 children / work

Answer: (Examples of possible answers)
1 People used to travel by horse. 6 People used to believe in ghosts and
2 People used to cook with/on wood fires. devils.
3 People didn't use to live so long. 7 People didn't use to be able to vote.
4 People used to fight with spears. 8 People used to think the earth was flat.
5 People used to hunt with bows and 9 People used to have bigger families,
arrows. 10 Children used to work.

Used to and be used to.
Directions: Complete the sentences with used to or be used to and the correct form of the verbs in parentheses.
1. I (live) used to live in Jakarta, but now I live in Paris.
2. I (live) am used to living in Jakarta. I've lived here all my life.
3. Jane (work) for the telephone company, but now she has a job at
the post office.
4. This work doesn't bother me. I (work) hard. I've
worked hard all my life.
5. Dick (have) a mustache, but he doesn't anymore. He shaved it,off
because his wife didn't like it. I (see, not) him
without his mustache. He still looks strange to me.
6. When I was a child, I (think) anyone over 40 was old. Of
course, now that I'm middle-aged, I agree with those who say, "Life begins at 40."
7. It (take) weeks or months to cross the Atlantic Ocean from Europe
to the Americas, but now it takes only a matter of hours.
8. Even though Jason is only 12, he (fly) on airplanes. His
father is a pilot and has taken Jason with him in a plane many times.
9. When I was growing up, my mother often sent me to the neighborhood store to get something
for her. And each time I went there, Mr. Ditmar, the owner, (give)
me a piece of candy.
10. Michael (take) care of himself. He left home when he
was 15 and has been on his own ever since.

Answer:
1. used to live
2. am used to living
3. used to work
4. am used to working
5. used to have .... am not used to seeing
6. used to think
7. used to take
8. is used to flying
9. used to give
10. is used to taking

1 yorum:

  1. Today, while I was at work, my cousin stole my apple ipad and tested
    to see if it can survive a 30 foot drop, just so she can
    be a youtube sensation. My iPad is now destroyed and she has 83 views.
    I know this is completely off topic but I had to share it with someone!
    My page : http://mylali.net

    YanıtlaSil