A: Complete the text with words below, using used to….
buy go have keep look after
look at live play stand take
Recently, we took our 14-year-old son James to the place in Lyon where we ________________ (1) when he was a baby. We showed him the house, with the balcony where he _________________ (2) and make speeches to imaginary crowds. Then we went inside, and believe it or not, there was Mme Depardieu, who _______________ (3) James when we were working. She didn't look a day older. We couldn't get into the flat, but we saw the garden where James _______________ (4). Then we visited the park where we _____________ (5) him for walks, the zoo where he ______________ (6) the elephants and monkeys, and the lake where we ______________ (7) boating. Not much had changed in the area: most of the shops were still there, including the wonderful old grocer's where we ________________ (8) delicacies like cherries in brandy. But the friendly butcher who ________________ (9) the best pieces of meat for us was gone, and so was the restaurant with the bad-tempered old waitress where we _______________ (10) Sunday lunch. I found it strange to go back: it made me feel happy and sad at the same time. But James was delighted with the trip.
ANSWERS PART A:
1. used to live 2. used to stand 3. used to look after
4. used to play 5. used to take 6. used to look at
7. used to go 8. used to buy 9. used to keep
10. used to have
B: Make sentences with used to and didn't use to about how people lived hundreds of years ago.
1. travel / horse
2. cook / wood fires
3. live so long
4. fight / spears
5. hunt / bows and arrows
6. believe / ghosts and devils
7. be able / vote
8. think / earth was flat
9. bigger families
10. children / work
1. People used to travel with horses
2. People used to cook on wood fires.
3. People didn’t use to live so long.
4. People used to fight with spears.
5. People used to hunt with bows and arrows.
6. People used to believe in ghosts and devils.
7. People didn’t use to be able to vote.
8. People used to think the earth was flat.
9. People used to have bigger families.
10. Children used to work.
C: Complete with the present tense of the verb given, or used to and the verb given.
1. Jim _______________ (not get) annoyed with Brenda these days, but years ago he _______________ (get) cross with her all the time.
2. When we were young we _______________ (listen) to the radio a lot, but today most people ______________ (watch) television.
3. Today Daryl and Valerie often _____________ (go) out for a meal, but when they were newly married, they _____________ (not, go) out to restaurants.
4. "______________ Aunt Emily ______________ (drink) so much tea when she was young?"
5. Andrew _______________ (be) very difficult to get on with years ago, but now that he's married he ________________ (be) friendly.
6. Today a growing number of people ______________ (work) at home, whereas a few years ago everybody ________________ (go) to an office or a factory to work.
7. We ________________ (go) for long walks in the country when I was a young girl, but today most people _____________ (travel) by car.
ANSWERS PART C:
1. doesn't get / used to get
2. used to listen / watch
3. go / didn't use to go
4. Did…use to
5. used to be / is
6. work / used to go
7. used to go / travel
Write these sentences, putting one verb into the correct form of used to and the other into the past simple:
1. I _______________________(smoke), but I _______________________(give it up) last year.
2. I ___________________(not like) him, but then I _______________________(change) my mind.
3. He _______________________(live) in London before he _______________________(go) abroad.
4. I ___________________(earn) a lot of money, but then I _____________________(lose) my job.
5. I'm surprised that they __________(join) the tennis club. They ________________(not like) tennis.
6. _______________________(you travel) a lot before you _______________________(get) this job?
7. I _____________________(work) in a factory before I ___________________(become) a teacher.
8. She ___________________(drive) a lot before she ____________________(have) the accident.
9. That old radio _______________________(work) before I _______________________(drop) it.
10. We _______________(see) them every week, but then we ______________(have) an argument.
11. I _________________(work) in a restaurant before I ___________________(go) to college.
12. She __________________(play) a lot of tennis before she __________________(break) her leg.
13. We ______________(have) a garden, but then we ________________(move) to a different house.
14. She _________________(live) in Wales, but then she ________________(move) back to Scotland.
15. I ___________________(drive) a lorry before I _______________________(start) this business.