15 Ekim 2009 Perşembe

Present Tenses For The Future

A. Present continuous for arrangements
Look at this question and answer:
Melvyn: Are you doing anything this evening? Bill: Yes, I'm going to the ice hockey match. The Tigers are playing the Kings. I bought my ticket yesterday.
We use the present continuous for what someone has arranged to do. Here Bill has arranged to go to the match. (He has bought a ticket.)
I'm meeting Ann at six o 'clock. Phil is coming round later on.
They're playing ice hockey tonight. Judy is going to Malta next week
The present continuous and be going to have similar meanings: We're having a party soon. (We have made the arrangements.) We're going to have a party soon. (We have decided to have one.)

B. Present simple for a timetable
Polly: What time does your train leave tomorrow? Mike: Ten twenty-five. And it arrives in Gloucester at eleven ten.
We can use the present simple for the future when it is part of a timetable:
The train leaves at ten twenty-Jive tomorrow morning.
The match starts at seven thirty.
Next Friday is the thirteenth. But we do not use the present simple for intentions and decisions:
NOT I buy my ticket tomorrow or I give you a lift this evening.

C. Present simple after when, before etc.

We use the present simple for the future after when, as, while, before, after, as soon as and until:
We'll have coffee when the visitors get here.
I must get to the bank before it closes.
As soon as you hear any news, will you let me know?
both actions are in the future. But we do not use will after when, as etc.
NOT We'll have coffee when the vistors will get here.
Thc same thing happens after if, who/which and that: If you see Elaine, can you give her a message? Thc people who arrive early will get the best seats. I'// make sure (that) everything is ready.
Exercises

1 The present continuous (A and Unit 1 A)
Say if the verb refers to the present or the future.
Tim: What are you reading? Present
Fiona: Oh, it's a book about China. I 'm going there next month. 1 .……….
Barry and I 2are having a holiday there. 2 .………
Tim: That sounds exciting. 3 .………
Fiona: Yes, I3'm really looking forward to it. We4're doing a 4.………..
tour of the country. So I5'm finding out as much as I can 5.………..
about it.
2 Present continuous for arrangements (A)
For each situation write a sentence with the present continuous. Use the verbs in brackets. Louise has accepted an invitation to Dave's party next week. (go)
She's going to Dave's party next week
1 Elaine has agreed to be in the office on Saturday. (work)
2 Karen has just bought her plane ticket to Acapulco. (fly)
3 Tim and Mike have booked a.badminton court for tomorrow afternoon. (play)
4 All the arrangements have been made for Princess Diana to spend a day at the New World
Fun Park on June 10th. (visit)
3 Present simple for a timetable (B)
This is today's programme for a group on a package tour of England. Describe their day. Use these verbs: arrive, do, have, leave, take.
9.30 am Bus to Stratford At half past nine they take a bus to Stratford.
1 12.30 pm Arrival in Stratford
2 1.00 pm Lunch
3 2.00 pm Tour of the town
4 5.30pm Departure .
4 Present simple after when, before etc. (C) Put in the verbs. Use will or the present simple.
A: What about my money?
B: I 'II send the cheque to you as soon as I have it.
A: Why can't you write me a cheque now?
B: The manager writes the cheques. He's away until Tuesday.
I can't do anything until he 1 back. When
he 2 in on Tuesday morning,
I 3 him about it. I 4 ……… sure that he ………………..you want the money immediately. If I …………………………the cheque first class, you……………………it on Wednesday.

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder