17 Ekim 2009 Cumartesi

Success in Grammar

 Choose the correct answer:
1. Mr. and Mrs. Brown if they friendly to each other.
a. would divorce / had been
b. wouldn't have divorced / had been
c. would have divorced / had been
d. got divorce / had been
2. If I the President of Turkiye, I brand-new laws.
a. was / would make
b. were / would make
c. am / will make
d. will be / will make
3. If Clara measles, she to school.
a. hadn't had / would have come
b. wasn't / would come
c. isn't/will come
d. had had / would have come
4. I wonder what my sister if she a ghost.
a. does / sees
b. did/saw
c. would do/saw
d. would do / sees
5. If the workers on strike, the employer them a rise.
a. didn't go / didn't give
b. had gone / wouldn't give
c. hadn't gone / wouldn't have given
d. went / would gave
6. If my father a bottle of whisky, he drunk.
a. drinks / get
b. drank / would got
c. drinks/would get
d. drank / would get
7. If we the bus, we home earlier.
a. hadn't missed / would have arrived
b. didn't miss / would have arrived
c. missed / would have arrived
d. had missed / would have arrived
8. If you ………………….. a high school student , you wear uniform.
a. weren't/wouldn't have to
b. weren't / would have to
c. were / wouldn' t have to
d. was / wouldn't have to
9. If it rainy yesterday, we the match.
a. wasn't/wouldn't cancel
b. hadn't been / wouldn't have cancelled
c. had been / wouldn't have cancelled
d. hadn't been / would have cancelled
10. I very glad if you me some good news about him.
a. will be / gave
b. would be / give
cam/gave
d. would be / gave

Answer : 1 b 2 b 3 a 4 c 5 c 6 d 7 a 8 a 9 b 10 d

 Read the sentences and answer the questions.
1. If you come with us, you'll enjoy yourself.
2. If I had more money, I would live more comfortably.
3. If you are self-confident, you get everything you deserve.

a) Which of these sentences refers to something which doesn't exists at the moment ?
b) Which of these sentences refers to something which is generally considered to be true ?
c) Which of these sentences refers to something which is likely to happen in the future ?

Answer: a 2 b 3 c 1
 Match statements 1-3 to the possible meanings in a-c.
... 1. If he phoned his friends everyday, he'd run up huge phone bills.
... 2. If he'd phoned his friends everyday, he'd have run up huge phone bills.
... 3. If he phones his friends everyday, he'll run up huge phone bills.

a) He might phone his friends every other day, then the phone bills won't be so expensive.
b) He doesn't phone his friends everyday because phone calls are expensive.
c) He didn't phone his friends everyday because phone calls were expensive.

Answer: 1 b 2 c 3 c

4) Look at the sentences and answer the questions.
1. I wish my brother wouldn't come late.
2. I wish my brother weren't so ill.
3. I wish my brother hadn't moved in next door.
What information is the speaker giving about his (her) brother ?

Answer:
1 ) his ( her ) brother is always coming late
2 ) his ( her ) brother is very ill.
3 ) his ( her ) brother has ( just ) moved in next door / moved in next door some time ago.

 Answer the following questions.
1. Why is the zero conditional sentence used to ?
2. What is the difference between the first, second, and third conditionals ?
3.
Answer : 1 ) The zero conditional ( if + present+ present ) and it is used to refer something with occurs frequently or is thought to be true.
2 ) First conditional : ıf + present + future used when there is a possibility or probability of something happening in the future.
Second conditional : ıf + sımple past + conditional – used to refer to set of circumstances which you know do not exist and / or arc not likely to, but which could possibly exist.
Third conditional : If + past perfect + past conditional - used to speculate about how things might have been different if events had taken another course, but which are not impossible because it is too late to change them.

 Look at the sentences and then answer the question.
1) If I were the president of Türkiye, I'd give all my money to the poor people. ...
2) If you were to win a lot of money in a lottery, what would you do ?
Which is used to refer to:
a) a possible, but highly unlikely, future situation ?
b) a set of circumstances which you know very well does not exist and never will ?

Answer: 1 b 2 a

 Rewrite the following sentences, using an if construction.
1. He is very shy; that's why he doesn't enjoy parties.
…………………………………………………………………………………………………
2. They read the book. That's why they are so well - informed about the matter.
………………………………………………………………………………………………..
3. He doesn't know my address, so he can't write to me.
……………………………………………………………………………………………..
4. He didn't know your number, so he didn't ring.
……………………………………………………………………………………………..
5. I didn't visit the museum because I hadn't time.
…………………………………………………………………………………………….
6. People drive very fast. That's why there are so many accidents.
……………………………………………………………………………………………
7. He lives near his office, so she doesn't spend much time travelling to work.
…………………………………………………………………………………………….
8. She didn't know how thin the ice was, so she was walking on it quite confidently.
……………………………………………………………………………………………….
9 . They didn't walk very far on the moon because they were hampered by the thick dust
…………………………………………………………………………………………………..
10. The children weren't wearing life-jackets; perhaps that's why they were drowned.
………………………………………………………………………………………………………..

Answer :
1. If he wasn't (weren't) so shy he would enjoy parties.
2. If they hadn't read the book, they wouldn't be so well-informed about the matter.
3. If he knew my address he could write to me.
4. If he'd known your number he would have rung.
5. If I had had time I'd have visited the museum.
6. If people drove more slowly there wouldn't be many accidents.
7. If he didn't live near his office he'd spend a lot of time travelling.
8. If she'd know how thin ice was she wouldn't (shouldn't) have been walking on it quite confidently.
9. They would have walked further if they hadn't been hampered by the thick dust.
10. If they'd been wearing life-jackets they wouldn't have been drowned.

 Complete the blanks using the given words.
wish past perfect main clause
common if only before
express unreal present future situations
will imperative true
the present possibility was
unreal past conditions


We use this structure (If it is sunny, we will go to the beach.) when there is a 1 ) ……………………..that the situation in the if-clause will happen in the future (e.g. perhaps it will be sunny). We can also use this structure when there is a possibility that the situation in the if-clause is 2 ) in 3 ) ………………………………………..
We use this structure (If I had time, I would watch TV) to talk about 4 ) ………………….. or future situations (e.g. I do not have time). We also use sentences like these to talk about unlikely present or 5 ) …………………We often use were instead of 6) ……………………………… after if, especially in a more formal style.
We use this structure (If it had been sunny yesterday, I would have gone to the beach) to talk about
7 ) ……………………… (e.g. it was not sunny yesterday).
In open conditionals we can use a modal verb (e.g. can, must) or the 8 ) ………………………………… instead of 9 ) …………..
in the main clause. In unreal conditionals we can use could or might in the 10 ) …………………………………
In conditional sentences the main clause can come 11 ) …………..or after the if clause. We often write a 12 ) ………….. after the if clause.
We can use wish and 13 ) …………….. with a past tense to 14 ) …………………………..regret about
the present - to say that we would like something to be different.
In a formal style, we often use were instead ofwas after 15 ) …………………..and if only. We can also use would after wish and if only to say that we want something to be different or to stop happen¬ing.
We use wish andif only with the 16 ) ………………………………to express regret about the past.
Answer:
1. possibility 9. will
2. true 10- main clause
3. the present 11. before
4. unreal present 12. comma
5. future situations 13. if only
6. was 14. express
7. unreal past conditions 15. wish
8. imperative 16. past perfect

 Look at the sentences and then answer the questions.
Take your raincoat if it rains.
Take your raincoat in case it rains.
1. Which of the sentences means "Take your raincoat, then you will be ready if it rains"?
…………………………………………………………………………………………………
………………………………………………………………………………………………
2. Which sentence means "Wait and see if it rains before you take your raincoat" ?
………………………………………………………………………………………………
………………………………………………………………………………………………
Answer :
1. Take your raincoat in case it rains.
2. Take your raincoat if it rains.
 Read the sentences and answer the questions.
1. I wish my boyfriend wouldn't listen to loud music.
2. I wish I could earn more money.
3. I wish he didn't go to Europe.
4. I wish he hadn't spoken to him in a rude manner.
5. I wish the telephone wouldn't ring while I'm having a bath.
........... a) Which sentences express a wish for something you'd like to be different now ?
........... b) Which sentence expresses a wish for something you would have liked to have been different in the past ?
........... c) Which sentence express a wish for something you find disturbing and would like to be different in future ?
Answer : a. 2, 3 b. 4 c. 1, 5
 Fill in the blanks using the correct forms of the verbs in brackets.
1. Unless you (use) seat belt, you may be injured in an accident.
2. If I were you, I (spend) the money how I want.
3. If he (know) Spanish, he wouldn't have got bored during his holiday.
4. I could (go) to Egypt, if I had enough money.
5. Christopher would get angry unless the telephone stopped (ring) so much.
6. I wish I (go) by bus, then my foot wouldn't ache.
7. He hasn't got roller-blades, but he wishes he (have).
8. If only they had invited me to the party, I (wear) the pink dress.
9. I (have) toothache if I had kept my appointment with the dentist.
10. I (speak) to her, only if she apologises.
Answer
1. use 3. knew 5. ringing 7. had 9. wouldn't have had
2. would spend 4. go 6. went 8. would have worn 10. will speak
 Read the first sentence in each set. Then mark the other sentences as true (T) or false (F).
1. If I hadn't found my friend, I would have gone to the cinema by myself.
a) I went to the cinema. b) I didn't find my friend.
2. I would have learnt English if I had gone to school.
a) I went to school.
b) I learnt English.
3. If she hadn't been depressed, she wouldn't have wanted to jump off the window.
a) she was depressed.
b) she wanted to jump off the window.
4. She wouldn't have met Bill, her future husband if she hadn't visited her relatives.
a) she didn't visit her relatives.
b) she didn't meet Bill.
5. If I had had enough money, I would have travelled around the world.
a) I didn't have enough money to travel around the world.
b) I travelled around the world.
6. I wish I weren't a student.
a) I'm a student.
b) I am not a student.
7. She says, "I wish I lived in a castle."
a) she doesn't live in a castle.
b) she feels happy that she lives in a castle.
8. If I hadn 't been born , my son wouldn 't have been born either.
a) my son was born.
b) my son wasn't born.
9. He would learn how to drive a car if he had enough time.
a) he has time.
b) he knows how to drive a car.
10. I would have graduated from the university if I had finished my thesis.
a) I finished my thesis.
b) I was happy because of graduating from university.
Answer:
1. a) T b) F
2. a)F b)F
3. a) T b) T
4. a) F b) F
5. a) T b) F
6. a) T b) F
7. a) T b) F
8. a) T b) F
9. a) F b) F
10. a) F b)F
 Match the following sentences.
1. If I had known how to speak German
2. I wish I could go to the cinema today
3. If you're thinking of going to Bodmm on holiday
4. I wish my students
5. If only you had kept your appointment with the doctor yesterday
6. If you were a honest person
7. If I were you
8. If you enjoy bowling
9. If you walk under a ladder
10. If you had finished your homework earlier

a) you should go to Emperland.
b) you will have bad luck.
c) I could have gone to Germany.
d) you wouldn't have backache now.
e) you should book your place.
f) but I have to stay at home and study.
g) I would have accepted to his marriage proposal,
h) you could have gone to the party.
I) I could have told you my secrets.
j) would pay more attention to my lesson.
Answer : 1. c 2. f 3. c 4. j 5. d 6. i 7. g 8. a 9. b 10. h
 Fill in the blanks using your own sentences.
1. She never takes care of her daughter but I wish she
2. If I were a student at Hacettepe University,
3. If only I had asked him for much more money,
4. You feel regret or guilt if
5. Would you let me visit him if ?
6. He always teased with me but now he wishes he
7. I prefer to make him forget me as
8. Caner wishes he had borrowed a car
9. Actually, if I had the chance
10. It would have been better if

 If the sentence is correct, put a tick( ) in the space provided. If the sentence has a word
which should not be there, write it in the space provided.
1. If he wants me to look after his baby, he can have suggest it.
2. Unless the teacher is not angry with you, she won't punish you.
3. If I had had the chance again, I would have preferred a life of luxury.
4. You would rather go to Musty (a restaurant) than eat at home.
5. If you love nature, why don't you have collect plastic waste to recycle.
6. If my room wasn't so small, otherwise I would invite her to study physics.
7. If only I knew her name and address, I would have post a card.
8. In actual fact he is more polite than he seems.
9. In spite of being more comfortable than me in the exam, unless I did better than her.
10. I wish he would succeed in everything that he has had in his life.
11. If school masters had allowed smoking in school, the students would have been smoked in the classrooms.
12. I wish I could stand all his teasing when he begins to talk to me.
13. Unless you've not already cooked for me, I won't accept your invitation.
14. Even if I tease him, he won't get use angry with me.
15. If we were helped him with his homework, he would behave in a friendly manner.
Answer:
1. have 4.  7. have 10. had 13. not
2. not 5. have 8.  11. been 14. use
3.  6. otherwise 9. unless 12.  15. were
16) Match the linking words in 1-5 to the meaning in a - d below. Two of the linking words have the same meaning.
... 1. As / so long as the students are prepared to work hard, the teacher will give them some extra
lessons before the exam.
... 2. Supposing (that) you had been offered the opportunity to work abroad, would you have taken it?
... 3. Provided / Providing that the boys would have been prepared to consider his application.
... 4. Unless my brother really tries hard to save some money, he '11 never be able to afford to buy a car.
... 5. Even if they had to offered me a huge salary, I still wouldn't have accepted the job.

a) it wouldn't have / have had any effect on the outcome.
b) "except when" or "if not".
c) on the condition or understanding or "only if.
d) let's assume.
Answer: 1. c 2. d 3. c 4. b 5. a

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder